Real Wedding: Jessica and Jeff's DIY Budget Barn Wedding

    Who doesn't love a barn wedding especially one with mad DIY details?  This rustic Oregon wedding captured by Scott McNamara is packed full with thoughtful and budget friendly ideas and inspiration.




    Thoughts from Jessica, the bride:


    We searched and searched for venues and really struggled because of our smaller budget, we checked out some other McMenamin's locations and just when we were feeling discouraged we came across the barn.  It had the exact feeling of comfort, fun and vintage look we were going for.  It was the perfect place for our guests to kick back and have a good time and gave us some freedom to 'create' the wedding we wanted.  Plus, as part of a event space package, McMenamin's provides all of the catering/drinks and rental items, making it a real budget-friendly place as well.




    Jeff and I both think the ceremony was the most memorable part of the day - for me, this included walking up the aisle surprisingly holding it together only to find that my Groom and the entire bridal party had already lost it and were searching for tissues.




    The wedding planning process started with some hesitation on my projects, as most often when I discussed all my fun ideas with others I was quickly reminded that "less is more" and "most people don't notice all those little things".  While this may be true for "most" weddings, I decided that ours wasn't "most" weddings, it was OUR wedding and it wouldn't be the same if I didn't find ways to incorporate myself and the hubby into the details. With the help of family and friends we were able to bring several DIY projects to life.


    Our invites were a mix off all my favorite ideas condensed into what was affordable, time effective and still gave our guests a peek of the creativity they would get when they attended our special day. I planned on designing our invite but when I fell upon the Minted Firefly invite I couldn't pass up the image of the mason jar and it saved me a lot of time by ordering online.



    I couldn't end with just those however, so I brainstormed a way to use stitching, a ream of vellum, and an RSVP request that wouldn't require us to purchase more postage. After one night of craftiness with my Mom and MOH, we had all the "Particulars" pages (which I designed myself) stitched from vellum to a fun paper backing. I used the great engagement shoot pictures from Scott to order business cards with a selection of our pictures on one side and our RSVP details on the other. The final two steps were tying it all together with hemp/twine and hand addressing all our envelopes.




    For the tables we purchased burlap from a local fabric store (cheap!) and my amazing Mom and bridesmaids chipped in to make all of our table runners. We collected a ton of aqua mason jars that held flowers arranged by the amazing Gina Pagano-Rose of Bohemian Bouquets. (don't you love that name for a florist!)


    I love that they used the adorable and free downloads from The Wedding Chicks 
    for their table numbers and Bride and Groom signs


    The biggest project of all were the mini chalk board favors! We purchased plywood and had it cut into 4x6 pieces, painted with chalkboard spray paint, then hand wrote with each guests name and placed at their table as favors. We purchased boxes a little larger than a matchbox and filled them with broken chalk sticks and tied twine around them to accompany the board.




    I created thank you cards that were placed at each table setting and included a description of the chalk board favors on the back to make sure guests knew they were for them to take home.




    We made various signs using chalk board paint and placed around the grounds directing folks to different areas. My sister found windows on Craigslist that we ended up painting with chalkboard paint and writing table assignments.




    One of the things I knew we would have to incorporate right off the bat was a candy/dessert bar (he loves candy and my grandma makes to-die-for cookies loved by all). The dessert bar included 2 antique cupcake stands, a candy bar (a huge hit!) and treat bags with labels I created myself.






    One of my favorite projects by far was our wedding photo line. We gathered pictures of family and friends on their wedding day to create a photo wall, printed in black & white, then hung from the barn walls with twine & mini-clothes pins -  so happy to now have all these pictures and the guests LOVED it.

    Weaving the guests wedding day into your own - love it!




    How fun to dress up an old restored barn for your wedding - I love the poms the couple made!


    How do you like their photobooth? Pretty cool, huh?



    The wedding day went amazingly smooth, everything was like a dream and nothing went wrong!  Every detail that we put into the wedding was returned ten-fold when we saw (and heard) about what a great time our guests had.  We are so blessed to have amazing friends and family that were as involved and emotionally affected by this day as we were!


    A big thanks to Scott for sharing the beautiful images and to Jessica for sharing your experience with us! 



    Vendor Details:

    Venue:  McMenamin's Cornelius Pass Roadhouse - Octagonal Barn
    Catering:  McMenamin's
    Rentals (chairs):  Emery Events
    Cake/Cupcakes:  Beaverton Bakery
    Bride's dress:  Casablanca Bridal
    Bride's vintage hairpiece:  purchased from Vancouver antique store
    Bridesmaids dresses:  J.CREW  (jewelry all picked out by Bride as part of gift)
    Groom and Groomsmen attire:  Macy's
    Invitations/Paper Products:
    Save the Date email created by Photographer and bride
    Invites printed through Minted.com; stitched by Mother/Bride
    RSVP cards ordered through MOO.com
    

Blog Archive