Recipe for a Good Marriage

    Ok, I know I typically blog about wedding inspiration but sometimes I feel that the "bride-to-be" can quickly lose sight of what the wedding is really about and get so caught up in the details that they forget how they got there to begin with (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the details!).  I am not going to pretend that I have the right formula for a good marriage but now when I go to a bridal shower or wedding where they ask you to give your marriage advice I feel like after over a year and a lot of change and growth I have a better grasp on it than I did a year ago. 


    Um, I look like a giddy school girl.  How sweet is my hubs? 

    It was about a year ago today that we were packing our bags and moving across the country from Florida to Oregon.  It's been quite an adventure but not one that hasn't come without its fill of challenges along the way.  We live in an amazingly beautiful and sacred place and I feel we are on the adventure of a lifetime.  Sometimes though I feel like we are on an island so far from our loved ones and friends and family.  But I also feel being so far from folks and having to stumble through our first transitional year together has helped us form the strength of our own family.

    I asked my Mom tonight what she thought was the recipe for a good marriage.  She should know since she's been married to my Dad for 41 years.  I feel so blessed to have parents that have been married that long and who have set an example for me in my own relationship.  I'm sure it hasn't been easy but here is what she said - "more than anything else it's about COMMITMENT, enjoy life together and have faith in each other " but my favorite thing she said was "and have a dog"!  HA!!!! 

    I would say my recipe for a good marriage (at least after year one) is:

    1) You have to like your partner as much as you love your partner.  I really like mine! And of course love him too!
    2) Communicate - I know this has made all the difference for us this past year - without it you will flounder
    3) Believe in and have faith in your partner - this was one of my Mom's pearls and she is right. 
    4) Have a date night at least once a week - essential!
    5) Have fun and don't take yourself too seriously - we've had to remind each other that we first were attracted to each other b/c we both knew how to really have fun together.  Don't stop having fun and learn how to keep it light!

    And for good measure I'll throw in one like my Mom - "and make sure to cuddle" (my favorite thing)

    Thank you Keith for teaching me something new about myself every day.





    What is your recipe for a good marriage?  Blogger friends, please comment and contribute...I really value your feedback and so do our bride-to-be readers.

Blog Archive