Real Wedding: Lisa + Josh's Colorful DIY Budget Backyard Wedding

    Speechless - there are no words for this next intimate backyard wedding and all the fabulous DIY details.  A big thanks to Scott McNamara (another talented Pac NW photographer) for sharing this amazing wedding!

    This insanely adorable wedding took place in the bride and groom's backyard in SW Portland. 

    I was blown away by all the DIY details of this wedding but when I got the email from Lisa with everything she personally did for the wedding - I felt like such a slack bride.  I know you think you've seen DIY weddings but nothing like this one...thanks Lisa for sharing your day with us!

    From the bride Lisa:


    Josh and I had already been together for over 12 years when we got married.  We wanted our wedding to be personal and fun, and part of that was keeping the costs low and doing whatever we could ourselves!


    I had a great time with the decorations.  I'm totally smitten with fabric garlands.  They're so cute and festive, plus really easy to make.  I cut out all the triangles with pinking shears (no hemming!), and my sister and I fed them through the sewing machine one after another.  You can make a lot of garland in no time!  




    All of the paper goods - invitations, programs, signage, etc. - I designed and printed on my home printer.  








    Josh and I also made a cut out of our names to hang above the tables.  I created a file with the graphic, then projected and traced it on to sheets of hardboard.  Then we cut the pieces out with a jigsaw and painted them.


    Ummm...yes, they made that sign themselves! Maybe the DIY of the year award!


    The guest book was a rolodex that usually sits on my desk.  I bought it many years ago from Lovely Design.  




    I ended up improvising on all the table linens.  The tablecloths from the rental place we used were too expensive, so I used linen curtains from Ikea instead (I just sewed the tab tops down).  It was way cheaper, and now, after the wedding, we have all these curtains to use in our house!  The runners I made from an Ikea duvet cover, and the napkins I cut out with pinking shears.  All of it can be reused after the wedding!







    But I have to say, we couldn't have done it without the help of our wonderful families & friends.  My sister, who is an amazing cook, made all the food, including the pies for dessert and the flying pig pie-toppers!  And we had teams of people who pitched in and helped with set up, bartending, food service, etc.  Even my outfit was a group effort!  My mom made my lovely wedding dress, and my sister made my hair flower. 


    YUM - and her sister made all the food....I'm blown away!



    Even the blue flying pigs are handmade by her sister









    Of course, there were a few parts that we left to professionals.  We hired a photographer and an officiant, and they were both fabulous!


    Killer ring shot


    The Rockstar DIYers

    All the gorgeous images {via Scott McNamara}



    Venue - Bride and Groom's Backyard
    Catering - Bride's sister
    Flowers - New Seasons & backyard bushes.  (My mom & I did the vases on the tables.  My sister made the bouquets.)
    Dress - Bride's mom
    Hair piece - Bride's sister
    Music - Ipod
    Photography - Scott McNamara 

Blog Archive