In the Beginning...The Proposal

    Before I start our wedding series of recaps I thought I'd start from the beginning with the proposal and maybe it will shed some light on why we decided to get married in Hood River, OR all the way from FL!  And we thought we'd share my side of the story and Keith's side of the story since they are slightly different.


    Debbie's version of the proposal

    Over Labor Day 2009, we were out in beautiful Oregon for the wedding of our good friends, Sarah and Greg. We were supposed to stay in Oregon for a 9-day vacation but had to cut the trip short so Keith could fly back to NY to get on the boat. (As a side note, he'd been at sea at this point for 3 months and we'd only seen each other two times so we were just happy to get to spend the weekend together in Oregon.)

    The wedding was on Sunday, and Keith had to fly out on Tuesday so Monday was our only day to spend together...alone. Monday morning (feeling a little fuzzy from the wedding the night before), we started the day walking along the Columbia River shoreline and saw a beautiful rainbow ending right in the water. I should have known then it was going to be a memorable day!



    We went to Sarah and Greg's post wedding brunch and then headed out to do a little sightseeing. We picked up a picnic lunch for later and drove across the bridge to White Salmon, WA. We drove up Cook-Underwood Rd - a very scenic ride overlooking the Gorge, the Hood River valley, Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams. We pulled off on the side of the road at a viewpoint that was absolutely breathtaking.

    Keith loves this one from our engagement spot right before he proposed - he says it looks like I'm looking out at the Hood River Valley - wishing, wanting, hoping - HA!


    After spending some time there and eating our picnic lunch, I suggested we take some pictures with Keith's big camera. He handed me the camera, but when I pressed down to take the picture, it didn't work. He said, "The battery must be dead, I'll get another one." He headed back to the car, and while walking back toward me said "flip that old battery out of the camera." When I opened the battery pack there was something round and shiny in there - to my surprise it was a ring! I honestly don't remember much after that but I kept saying "are you kidding me?" HA! Keith and I are always playing jokes on each other and in my head I couldn't figure out how he would have had time to get a ring since he'd been at sea for three months.

    Are you kidding me?


    Looking for the Punked camera crew


    Looking up at Keith - crying


    Bling!

    Needless to say, it was real, and I said yes! I was shaking, beaming, and smiling ear-to-ear the rest of the day.

    Keith's reaction


    My reaction


    Our reaction



    Keith's version of the proposal...

    I'd say her version is pretty accurate! Little did she know that I put the ring in the camera that morning while getting the car. I had to take it out a couple of times in order to photograph some other stuff. Each time I was nervous as heck she was on to me! I didn't have any certain place in mind to pop the question. I knew that it had to be sometime that day and I was just going to have to wing it at the coolest spot. Feeling a little whipped from the weekend’s events, when she asked for the camera, I thought, "Suck it up man, this is it!" Then I thought, "Oh NO, she is going to drop it over the ledge of the cliff we are standing on!!" I think I actually ran over and put my hands underneath the camera at that moment.

    After a few, "Are you kidding me?" from her and looking around like she was looking for a camera crew, she questioned me, "Did you ask my Dad?" And I had, earlier that morning after rounding up the courage. I was fumbling with the camera trying to put the battery back in so I could photograph the moment as I think there was a little tear in her eye. She then exclaims, "You have to put it on me!" I got on my knee, asked her marry me.... come to think of it... I don’t recall her answering me, hmmm. Instead she was jumping up and down and trying to figure out who to call. Funny, that day no one would answer their phone!

    From there we went to the Gorge White House for a wine tasting and to celebrate. It had been cloudy and rainy all weekend but it had just cleared and was gorgeous with Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams as bookends in the background...and the sun was shining!



    At the Gorge White House celebrating with some wine with Mt. Adams in the background

Blog Archive