Location, location, location...

    As I mentioned in my first post I wish I would have started this from day one so I guess I'll just have to play a bit of catch up.  We got engaged in Hood River, OR (actually across the bridge in White Salmon, WA to be exact) overlooking the breathtaking Columbia River Gorge over Labor Day weekend the day after our friends wedding (featured in the previous post).  I won't go into the details of the proposal but will simply tell you it was perfect.  While I knew I would one day marry him, the actual timing of the engagement was a total surprise - a sweet surprise of course.  Very romantic and the perfect place, time, setting and situation - the perfect words exchanged - I couldn't have dreamed it any better.


    At the sight of our engagement overlooking the Gorge, Hood River Valley and Mt. Hood - taken by my sweet boy (a great photographer - blog coming soon!) 


    After savoring the moment we decided it was time to celebrate and headed right over to the Gorge White House right outside of Hood River to grab a bottle of wine and wander the fabulous grounds which are bookended by Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams.


    At the Gorge White House - beautiful U-pick flower gardens and Mt. Adams to the far left. Taken by my guy


    Now that would be a great venue for a special event - maybe a rehearsal dinner complete with a wine tasting?  You can tell where my mind was - already I was planning the wedding!  Not even 30 minutes from saying yes - my wheels were spinning.  I can't really explain it, I was never "that" girl who had my wedding day all planned out from the time I was a child imagining myself dressed up like a princess and walking down an aisle - in fact, quite the opposite.  I always thought I'd be the last of my friends to get married - and I can tell you I'm not quite the last but close. I just love weddings and planning events and parties has always been my favorite hobby so the thought of planning our wedding had me so excited.

    The hours that proceeded his proposal were blissful and fun as we celebrated with our newly married friends that evening and spent the next day hiking around the Gorge area with now sunny skies and beautiful weather before having to hop on a plane back to FL. 

    Which brings me to the first decision most couples will have to make - where will we get married? And I mean location vs. venue.  I think for the most part folks usually have an idea about this question- either in the hometown of the bride or groom, where they currently live or a pre-determined location.  We really had no idea - sky's the limit and like most things for us there was much indecision.  We are both from the Midwest and currently live in FL but knew we would not be getting married "back home" or in FL (at least not in the part of FL we live!).  One minute it was Costa Rica - one of our favorite vacation spots and an area we've traveled extensively.  In the back of my mind I just assumed this would be the place.  Barefoot on the beaches of Manual Antonio with a reception/party under a thatched roof hut with tropical flowers and drinks!  Yes, please.




    Beautiful Costa Rican wedding photographer - El Velo Photography

    But, Costa Rica didn't win - logistically for friends and family we decided it would just be too difficult and then there is of course the lengthy rainy season you have to contend with.

    Next - Crested Butte, CO - what a cool, rustic and chill mountain town to get married in surrounded by the beautiful Rockies and  fields of wildflowers or golden Aspens depending on the season you decide to get married.  Even better we have a good friend there who has sweeping mountain views from his backyard. And it's tough to not get married in the Colorado mountains when you see amazing wedding photography like that of Julie Harris.  Check out her blog - Julie Harris Photography.  But still...CB didn't win either! 



    View from friends backyard in Crested Butte after "digging out"

    Still on the prawl for our perfect wedding location we started to download pictures of our recent trip to Oregon.  Another place very special to us ever since our first trip out there in October '08 when we traveled all around the Gorge region, Willamette Valley wine country and Oregon Coast.  And now the sight of our engagment during our most recent trip in September.  After reviewing the photos it was settled - Hood River, OR would be the the place to say our vows and seal our union! It just seemed right like this was supposed to be the spot.  We are so excited to have all of our family and friends travel out to this beautiful part of our country and celebrate with us.




    Looking East down the Columbia River Gorge - Blaine Franger

    Next decision - when and where?  Meaning venue!

Blog Archive