Still searching...

    Choosing a venue has definitely been the hardest decision yet - with some many wonderful places to get married in the Columbia Gorge/Mt. Hood region landing on just one was really tough.  Living in Florida and having not been to most of the venues it made it that much harder. Luckily, with so many talented photographers in the area, you can get a pretty good feel for the essence of these places. On the heels of our friends' wedding that was photographed by Blaine and Bethany - I'd been scouring their slideshows for venue ideas and came across exactly what we'd been searching for!  A quaint, rustic home with spectacular views of the Columbia River Gorge that would lend itself to a very intimate wedding ceremony.

    We immediately started searching the internet for this place but came up with nothing!  We emailed Blaine to find out more about this outstanding venue and eagerly awaited his response.  I actually think I was having dreams about this place for several nights to follow and already mapped out exactly what I'd want to do with the space. We came to find out that the venue was a private residence and that the owners offered it up to a very close friend for their 4th of July nuptials...oh and that they don't do wedding there! I know this is going to be a photo heavy post but hopefully you too will see what is so special about this place.  Not only did I love the spot but I think Caroline and Mark's wedding really shows you that this magical spot can give you that very warm and intimate feel.  Check out their full slideshow here


    Yes - this is the view from the house.  You can see down through the Gorge and the wind surfers below!





    This is the house - perched high above the Gorge on the Washington side of the river in White Salmon.  It used to be a B&B and is listed on the historic registry.  Look at that side walk thru porch and the giant old trees surrounding the house.





    Exactly what I was picturing in my head when reciting my vows to my love in Hood River - look at that view behind them!




    Perfect setting for a casual, laid back cocktail hour and post reception - folks can sit on the lawn, sipping a cocktail and just appreciate the views


    Why we choose to get married in Hood River!


    And this romantic gazebo is all part of the package...





    Love the large tables and family style set up








    4th of July fireworks display with this view - what a treat for guests!



    I really couldn't let it go and it's not my nature to take no for an answer so I launched my own investigation into the situation.  I happen to have a friend in White Salmon, WA and since I knew the general area of this place I sent her in to scope it out.  It just so happens that the Sunday morning she decided to wander over there, some kind of "parade of homes" was going on and this house was one of them!  She tried to discreetly roam the grounds and snap some photos when a gentleman asked if he could help her.  She explained the situation and through his laughter he told her he was the owner.  I guess it wasn't such a bad idea after all since he gave her his number and told her they'd be happy to discuss it with me.  I thought I was sold by the pictures but my friend's description and enthusiasm of the place further solidified it for me.

    I was pretty nervous to call them since he told my friend they'd only done a few weddings for close friends at their home and never for public use.   Any apprehension I had about calling them was eased as soon as they started talking.  They were flattered that I'd gone through the trouble to find them and while they'd never done a "non-friend" wedding they said they would actually consider it and get back to me.  The thought of getting married at such a non-commercial place where very few folks had been wed before was so exciting - I could hardly wait to hear back.

    My guy brought me back down to earth a little bit and reminded me that even if they agreed to let us get married there that we'd have a budget to consider and a bare bones place like this would require us to bring in everything - all the rentals and every little detail and that's not including any rental fee they might decide to charge. Well...I guess at least one of us needs to be the voice of reason.  Even though we are running on a tight budget and trying to be very conservative we knew that venue was one of the important factors for us.

     So...again eagerly awaiting a response we continued to search other venues as well as equipment rental fees so that when they came back with an answer and potential venue fee we'd have a good price comparison to make our decision.  And then...what I'd been waiting for - their decision.  They were pleased to inform me that they would in fact host our wedding at their home and included the price tag!  It was much higher than I would have anticipated especially considering all the additional costs you'd have to incur there. We really pondered over the decision for a few days - crunching numbers and trying to make it work.  There was another venue running a close second but very different from this unique home that had hosted very few weddings.

    If you love the pictures of this place as much as I do you'll probably think we are crazy for letting it go especially since this lovely couple had decided to make us their first public wedding but at the end of the day we decided it would be too much to spend.  We figured the other venue would still give us amazing views and we could create our own intimate atmosphere.   I am still honored and appreciate them agreeing to open their home and certainly would charge the same or more if it were my own home - after all they really had no incentive to host another wedding there.  After all of that it made our decision really easy - only one other place gave us the same feeling although very different special in it's own way.

    Wow, long post already and I'm ready for a glass of wine so you'll just have to wait to find out the venue we ended up selecting.




Blog Archive